WATCH: Berrettini loses ‘ugly point’ before claiming biggest career title
Matteo Berrettini completed an impressive run at Queen’s by defeating home favourite Cameron Norrie to claim the 2021 title.
The Italian overcame his British opponent in straight sets 6-4, 6-7 (5-7), 6-3 to claim a second title in 2021 and sixth of his career.
It is also Berrettini’s second title on grass, winning Stuttgart back in 2019. However, Queen’s is the biggest title of the Italian’s career so far, being his first at ATP 500 level.
Norrie represented himself well in the match, disrupting Berrettini throughout, including with this unorthodox exchange in the first set.
— LTA (@the_LTA) June 20, 2021
But in the end the Italian was too strong, particularly behind his first serve. Berrettini won an incredible 91% of points (58 of 64) behind his first serve over the course of the match, serving 19 aces along the way.
He gave Norrie zero break point opportunities, let alone a break of serve proper.
Berrettini beat three British players en route to the title, previously downing five-time champion Andy Murray and British no. 1 Dan Evans.
Finally, the no. 1 seed is the first debutant to win Queen’s since a 17-year-old Boris Becker did so back in 1985, weeks before his famous maiden Wimbledon title.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner