‘Venus and Serena got a lot of sh*t for it’ – Clijsters in praise of Williams’
Kim Clijsters entered the player schedule debate, highlighting the backlash that Serena and Venus Williams faced for starting a recent trend.
A writer for the New Yorker retweeted Nadal’s recent Wimbledon withdrawal announcement with the caption “Seems to me that Naomi Osaka started a very healthy trend of listening to one’s body.”
However, 4-time Grand Slam champion Kim Clijsters was quick to note along with others that the trend began long before, crediting Venus and Serena Williams as the main trailblazers.
“Venus and Serena started it I think,” Clijsters tweeted in response to the original.
“[They] got a lot of sh*t for it but it’s the reason why we are still able to enjoy their tennis.”
Venus and Serena started it I think … got a lot of shit for it but it’s the reason why we are still able to enjoy their tennis . No Stubbsy ?
— Kim Clijsters (@Clijsterskim) June 19, 2021
Despite the sisters both going pro in the 1990s, Serena, 39, and Venus, 41, are still playing the WTA tour, with Serena still ranked in the top 10. Both women won their first Grand Slam titles over 20 years ago.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner