US Open thrown into fresh doubt with top WTA ace claiming ‘no one wants to travel to New York now’
Angelique Kerber says travelling to New York for the US Open is currently ‘the last thing she wants to do’ due to the coronavirus crisis.
Officials at Flushing Meadows have been resolute in their determination to push ahead with the tournament as usual, albeit with significant safety restrictions in place.
However, a recent sharp increase in coronavirus cases in America has thrown the viability of the tournament into fresh doubt, and Kerber has added to the speculation by suggesting she won’t travel even if the US Open gets the go-ahead.
“As of today, I say quite honestly, I cannot imagine it. I don’t think anyone wants to get in a plane and fly to New York,” Kerber said.
“At the moment no one knows what’s happening and how it will go on.”
“I have the greatest respect that I or a member of my team could be infected and we’re stuck without knowing how to proceed,” she said.
The WTA Tour is due to resume in Palermo on August 3. However, Kerber says she is far from convinced that everything will go according to plan.
“Who knows – perhaps we’ll not play tennis in the next two years,” she added.
“It’s hard to say, maybe we’ll also start again in three weeks.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner