US Open receive boost as WTA star confirms she is ‘looking forward’ to playing despite concerns
Petra Kvitova has given the US. Open a timely boost by confirming she is “really looking forward” to playing the event.
It’s been a difficult few days for organisers at Flushing Meadows after seeing a spate of top names pull out of the tournament with safety concerns.
They include defending men’s champion Rafael Nadal and current WTA world number one Ashleigh Barty.
The WTA has also lost Kiki Bertens and Elina Svitolina, but they can keep Kvitova’s name in the US Open women’s draw.
“They’ve allowed us a two-member escort, so we’ll fly in three with a coach and a physiotherapist,” Kvitova told reporters on Monday.
“I’m not the type of player who needs a lot of people around me. It’s enough for me, it will probably be worse for men.
“I’ll try my best and have a clear conscience, let it turn out as it turns out.
“I’m really looking forward to the matches, adrenaline and everything around. It’s been a long time [without] tennis after all. I miss it.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner