“Terrible idea” – Kyrgios responds to Tsitsipas rule change suggestion
Nick Kyrgios has branded the proposal by Stefanos Tsitsipas that a major coaching rule change should be made a “terrible idea”.
World number four Tsitsipas thinks players should be able to receive coaching “on every point” during matches. On-court coaching is not allowed on the ATP Tour and at Grand Slams.
At WTA Tour events, players are allowed to request on-court coaching once per set, while coaching from the stands was also trialed in 2020.
After Tsitsipas expressed his opinion on Twitter, Kyrgios reacted to a Tennis TV post featuring some of the 22-year-old’s quotes on Instagram.
“I usually don’t mind his (Tsitsipas’) ideas, but this one is terrible,” the Australian commented – before the Greek replied: “I’ll get you a coach, don’t worry about that.”
View this post on Instagram
World number 56 Kyrgios then responded: “Seemed to have done fine without one against you my guy haha, but the beauty of tennis is to go out there alone.
“Some people choose not to have a coach, some people can’t afford a coach. On the tennis court it’s a level playing field. I think it’s the beauty of the sport.”
Tsitsipas accepted the point, but continued to make his case – saying: “True. I get your point but let me remind you that the majority of tennis coaches are actually coaching on court, despite the rules.
“Why should there be a punishment or a penalty rule for a coach that feels the need to talk or give advice?”
Kyrgios won both previous matches between the pair 7-6 in the third set – in Washington in 2019, and at the 2020 ATP Cup.
L’échange Kyrgios-Tsitsipas sur l’idée du Grec d’autoriser le coaching entre chaque point. pic.twitter.com/IMHgnOvVBR
— Quentin Moynet (@QuentinMoynet) July 19, 2021
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner