‘It’s about time the sport takes a big step forward’ – Tsitsipas suggests rule change
World number four Stefanos Tsitsipas believes a significant rule change should be made in tennis regarding coaching.
The 22-year-old thinks players should be allowed to receive coaching “on every point” during matches – something that is currently prohibited on the ATP Tour and at Grand Slams.
At WTA Tour events, players are allowed to request on-court coaching once per set, while coaching from the stands was also trialed in 2020.
Tsitsipas has regularly been given code violations for receiving coaching from his box.
“Coaching on every point should be allowed in tennis. The sport needs to embrace it,” the Greek said on Twitter.
Coaching on every point should be allowed in tennis. The sport needs to embrace it. We’re probably one of the only global sports that doesn’t use coaching during the play. Make it legal. It’s about time the sport takes a big step forward.
— Stefanos Tsitsipas (@steftsitsipas) July 18, 2021
“We’re probably one of the only global sports that doesn’t use coaching during the play. Make it legal. It’s about time the sport takes a big step forward.
“Everybody has a coach; it’s affordable at this level of the sport. We’re talking about professional tennis (ATP & WTA Tour). I personally have never faced a player that didn’t have a coach at his disposal.
“Why does tennis ban on-court coaching when every other sport allows it? Tennis has to modernize, which is difficult because the traditionalists are very powerful and prevail.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner