Tsitsipas states battle with Ruud ‘will be a difficult task early in a Masters’
Stefanos Tsitsipas noted the challenge ahead of him in facing Casper Ruud, a player who is having a strong clay season so far.
Stefanos Tsitsipas defeated Benoit Paire 6-1, 6-2 to reach the third round in Madrid, and will face the young Norwegian for the first time at tour level in the round of 16.
“It’s fair to say that I played well,” Tsitsipas stated following his victory. “I adapted well to the new conditions. The ball is bouncing a bit higher here. And my game worked pretty well…I found my ways and had a great win today.
“I think there’s plenty for me to take from today’s match. Although there wasn’t much rhythm, it was a different pace, things were moving pretty fast I would say I felt comfortable in my shoes.”
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) May 5, 2021
Casper Ruud is 9-3 on clay in 2021, defeating Felix Auger-Aliassime and Yoshihito Nishioka in the first two rounds of Madrid, both in straight sets for the loss of just 8 games.
“For sure [Ruud’s] a clay court specialist. I haven’t played him in a long time we played in juniors together. [He’s] someone who knows the surface really well. Most of his good results have come on clay so it’s a difficult task early in a Masters 1000.”
The two faced each other back in 2016 at an ITF Futures event final, with Tsitsipas winning the encounter.
“But, again, I’m gonna try to go out on the court and show my game, show what I’m capable of and put out my best power.”
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner