‘This is the fun part’ – Barty delighted to reach first Wimbledon quarter-final
Ashleigh Barty pulled through a tricky encounter at Wimbledon as she marched on past a fellow Grand Slam champion.
The world No. 1 is into the quarter-finals of a Slam for the fifth time as she overcame French Open champion Barbora Krejcikova in straight sets, 7-5, 6-3.
It is the Australian’s best career result at Wimbledon, having never previously gone beyond the fourth round.
“An incredibly tough match,” Barty said in her post-match interview on her battle with Krejcikova.
“Barbora’s had an incredible year honestly, she’s been one of the very toughest players to beat and I was excited for the challenge today.
“I think I’m just happy to come through in the end, I felt like I found some pretty good stuff when I needed it most which is great.”
Barty ended Krejcikova’s win streak of 15 consecutive matches stretching back across the French Open and Strasbourg Open, the Czech winning both events.
The Aussie was asked about her confidence moving forward, to which she responded in a measured way.
“I get my confidence from all the work that I do with my team, behind the scenes and on the training court. This is the fun part,” Barty expressed further.
“This is where I get to come out here and enjoy myself. As much as it’s frustrating at times, it is a game and I love coming out here and testing myself against the best in the world.”
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner