‘These are the matches we train for,’ Jannik Sinner conquers Karen Khachanov
Jannik Sinner came through a gruelling match with the Russian that came close to three hours in duration.
Jannik Sinner has reached the Round of 16 at a Masters 1000 for the second time in his career, rallying from a set down to defeat Karen Khachanov 4-6 7-6 6-4 in 2 hours and 50 minutes.
“After the first set, I tried to get out of this situation,” he said after the meatch. “Because, at the end of the day, we practise for these kind of tough matches, physically and mentally.
“This you’re learning in practice, with everything.”
The match marked the third meeting between the two men, with all three encounters going the distance. Sinner now holds a 2-1 lead in the head-to-head.
“At the end today, I’m very happy about the win and I’m looking forward to playing another match after tomorrow.”
Jannik Sinner will face Finn and fellow youngster Emil Ruusuvuori for a place in the quarter-finals.
Supreme shotmaking ✌️
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) March 28, 2021
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner