“There’s no court like Wimbledon Centre Court,” raves Gauff following win
Coco Gauff eased into the third round in front of a rapturous crowd on the main Wimbledon show court.
“It means a lot to be back here on Centre Court,” Gauff stated in her on-court interview. “Honestly this court makes more nervous than any court in the world.
“But, after I win the match is honestly one of the best feelings. Today I was super nervous coming in. There’s no other court like Centre Court at Wimbledon.”
Coco Gauff famously got her first taste of Centre Court at Wimbledon as a 15-year-old qualifier up against a then 39-year-old Venus Williams, the teen coming out the victor 6-4, 6-4.
This time, she overcame Elena Vesnina 6-4, 6-3 to reached the third round for a second time.
“She’s a great player,” Gauff said of Vesnina. “She’s really consistent with her results and honestly today I just kind of tried to stay focused on every point.
“I knew that she was gonna fight to the very end and she did. She came swinging and was hitting some big serves.
“I’d say today we both served pretty well. But I’m just glad I was able to come through today.”
Gauff only surrendered one break to Vesnina in the match, while Gauff took four of seven break chances presented to her.
The American star will next play Kaja Juvan or Clara Burel for a place in the fourth round.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner