‘The room went quiet’ – Young ATP star tells story of first Roger Federer meeting
Casper Ruud has given some insight into what is is like to be on the ATP Tour with Roger Federer.
Ruud is one of the most promising players in the world with the 21-year-old starting to make his mark on the Tour.
However, he still remembers encountering the aura ‘legend’ Federer carried around with him for the first time.
“It was in Melbourne a few years ago, and then I remember that we sat in a large café where all the players sit to eat,” Ruud recalled.
“When Roger Federer came in, it was completely quiet and everyone turned around. Now the legend is here.”
Federer is not alone in his superstar stature in men’s tennis, with Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic building legacies that are at least just as impressive.
“These three legends, they look taller than they might be,” Ruud added.
“They are probably around 1.85 meters, but it may seem that they are two meters because of the respect you have for them.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner