‘The only player who fascinated me was Rafael Nadal,’ says tennis prodigy
Iga Swiatek admitted that she has always looked up to Rafael Nadal, even going as far to say she formed her game around his.
The defending French Open champion has made her comments about Rafael Nadal at the Miami Open, a tournament where she is a strong contender for the title.
‘I really like Rafa Nadal, I have his t-shirt with his signature on my wall,’ she told reporters at a tournament press conference. ‘The calendar with Rafa. He is my idol.
‘He’s humble and has stayed the same guy he was before winning so many titles.’
The King of Clay will be vying for his 14th Roland Garros title this year. Both Swiatek and Nadal won their maiden French Open titles at the age of just 19. No doubt the young Pole will look to emulate such form in the future and make it two-in-a-row this year.
Swiatek went on to speak of her interest in Nadal from a young age.
‘I didn’t watch tennis too much when I was young. The only player who fascinated me was Rafael Nadal.
‘I guess I copied my style of play from him. I like to hit the balls with a lot of topspin.’
— Billie Jean King Cup (@BJKCup) March 26, 2021
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner