‘The criticism Novak Djokovic gets goes too far’ – former world number one backs Serb star
Boris Becker has leapt to the defence of Novak Djokovic as the fallout from the Adria Tour fiasco rumbles on.
The Tour, organised by Djokovic, had to be abruptly cancelled when it emerged several players on the tour, including Djokovic himself, had tested positive for the coronavirus.
Criticisms were then levelled at Djokovic due to the lack of social distancing precautions at the events, with matches played in front of capacity 4000 crowds in Belgrade.
Tthe players were also pictures partying together and playing basketball, which led to further criticisms.
Becker, though, has thrown his backing behind Djokovic.
“I want to defend Novak Djokovic,” Becker said. “I think the criticism he gets is unfair.
“The reason why everybody showed up was the right one.
“Yes I’m in agreement that maybe the party and basketball wasn’t necessary but I used to be 30 years old and when i see my friends I like to enjoy myself a little and when the camera is init in this day and age its always dangerous.
“I understand the temptation but i thin it was done for the right reasons and so we should hope that all players effected and everybody involved gets healthy and back on their feet and the tennis tour will resume with safety.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner