‘That’s what makes Rafael Nadal special’ – Gilles Simon explains source of Spaniard’s success
Gilles Simon believes an ability to strategize cleverly, particularly when things are going badly, is what sets Rafael Nadal apart as a truly special player.
Simon has had plenty of opportunity to study Nadal after facing him nine times during his career.
Of those nine, though, he has only managed to beat the Spaniard once.
Nadal’s strength, according to Simon, is being able to combine consistency with intensity, particularly when things are not going well, and in that sense he is unique in tennis.
Talking to Tennis Majors, Simon explained: “Rafa starts from what works when things aren’t going well: ‘I am going to put a lot of intensity in my forehand range on the backhand side of the other. I’m going to be around a lot by putting energy into it…’
“If his life depends on one point, he’s going to play this. That’s what’s so special about him, and then you see the construction.
“Then he’ll play longer, and sometimes he comes forward, etc.”
Simon’s solitary win over Nadal was at the Madrid Masters in 2008 when the tournament was played on hard court.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner