“That girl can really run!” Bianca Andreescu outlasts Sara Sorribes Tormo
Bianca Andreescu slugged it out last night to make it to the last four of the Miami Open, continuing her impressive return from injury.
Bianca Andreescu overcame Spaniard Sara Sorribes Tormo in just over two and a half hours to win 6-4 3-6 6-3 and reach the semi-finals of Miami for the first time in her career.
“That girl can really run,” Andreescu said of Sorribes Tormo in her post-match interview. “After the first set I was honestly so tired.
“But, we both fought really really hard, she’s an incredible fighter. I have no idea how I pushed through but, like I said, I really really fought as hard as I could and I’m super happy with how I pulled out [the win].”
This tournament also represents the Canadian’s first outing on US soil since winning the US Open in 2019 as a 19-year-old.
A phenomenal performance 🤩 @Bandreescu_ battles past Sorribes Tormo 6-4, 3-6, 6-3!
— wta (@WTA) April 1, 2021
“But, she played amazing, amazing tennis,” Andreescu added to credit her opponent, before addressing the fans in the stadium:
“You guys are really amazing, and it’s incredible that during a pandemic we can have this. So, I’m super grateful for you guys and hopefully you can cheer me on the rest of the tournament as well.”
Bianca Andreescu will face Greek Maria Sakkari in the semi-finals, with the latter stopping Naomi Osaka in the quarter-finals.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner