‘Tennis has a short memory,’ Daniil Medvedev is not caught up about his rankings achievement heading into Miami
Daniil Medvedev says he is focused on continuing to improve his game while not getting ahead of himself about the level he could reach, particularly in the ATP rankings.
Daniil Medvedev is set to undertake his first Masters 1000 event as a top seed this week, starting against either Sam Querrey or Yen-Hsun Lu.
‘It’s great because of course it comes with good results and a lot of hard work,’ Medvedev said in an interview for ATP Tennis TV. ‘I don’t want to stop. Every time you reach something new you want to keep climbing higher and higher,’ he added.
While expressing his pleasure at his current status on tour, the Russian was sure to remain grounded.
‘Tennis has a short memory, so it’s something I’ll remember for all my life, but I want to continue improving every day,’ he continued.
‘[I’m not thinking about No.1] at all to be honest. It’s still so far away.
‘Plus, I feel like to be No. 1 you probably need a Grand Slam because that’s where all the points are, unless you, I don’t know, make four finals and win five Masters in a year.
Medvedev won two Masters events and the ATP Finals in 2020 before reaching the Australian Open final last month. He continued to speak on the subject of rankings, before moving on to how he has developed the mental side of his life on and off the court.
‘I always say the rankings show the results, the better results you have in the year, especially in the biggest tournaments, the better your ranking will be.
‘I definitely think the mental work I’ve been doing helps me in many things, either in life or in tennis. It’s something that I wanted to improve, and I feel like I’ve done that big time.
‘I definitely still have some moments where I’m not happy about myself or I can lose matches, maybe lose my temper, but I’ve worked a lot on it and I feel like it’s getting better and better.
‘It’s the same with tennis, I don’t want to stop working on it.’
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner