Stefanos Tsitsipas triumphant in birthday battle
Stefanos Tsitsipas celebrated his 23rd birthday with a convincing win to book himself a spot in the Toronto quarter-finals.
The Greek superstar dispatched a dangerous opponent in Karen Khachanov, 6-3, 6-2, in just 80 minutes on-court.
It means Tsitsipas is into a fourth Masters 1000 quarter-final of 2021, only missing out on a last eight spot in Madrid.
“Things went really well for me,” the French Open finalist said of the match.
“I managed to sustain my concentration throughout the match. When things got tough, I was there, I was persistent.
“I’m very happy with the level of game I showed today. You know, just very aggressive, very comfortable.
“An important win for me, that’s for sure.”
The world number three is now up to 44 match wins in 2021, more than any other player on the ATP tour.
He will next face Casper Ruud for a semi-final place. The Norwegian is in a highly impressive run of form, with a 13-match win streak and three consecutive clay titles in as many weeks.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner