Stefanos Tsitsipas thrashes Dan Evans to reach Monte Carlo final
Stefanos Tsitsipas ousted British star Dan Evans in emphatic style to reach the Masters 1000 final in Monte Carlo.
The Greek star dominated from start to finish, beating Evans in straight sets 6-2 6-1 in an hour and ten minutes to end his fairytale run in Monaco.
The two-time Masters 1000 finalist broke Evans’ serve on five occasions, controlling the majority of the points with his forehand and an occasional backhand winner down the line.
Tsitsipas was equally destructive on serve, winning 79% (19/24) of first serve points and 65% behind his second serve to limit Evans to just one break point in the match, which the Brit did manage to convert.
“I am indeed pleased with the performance,” Tsitsipas said in his post-match interview.
“I found ways to play at my best. It was really difficult to maintain my level of consistency and I am really happy I managed to deal with all the different moments during the match.
“I had a lot of opportunities to hit the forehand, and think how I wanted to construct the point.”
Before his first ever Masters 1000 semi-final, Evans had enjoyed one of the best runs of his career, beating World No 1 Novak Djokovic and former Top 10 star David Goffin.
Stefanos Tsitsipas, who has reached at least the quarter-final stage in his last six ATP events, will now face either Russia’s Andrey Rublev or Norway’s Casper Ruud in search of his first Masters 1000 title.
— ATP Tour (@atptour) April 17, 2021
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner