Stefanos Tsitsipas relishing chance to ‘go for it’ against Andy Murray
Stefanos Tsitsipas will do battle with Andy Murray for the first time in their first round match to get their US Open campaigns rolling.
The world number three received a tough draw in 2012 champion Murray, and he understands the task ahead.
While the former world number one is far below his best form, Tsitsipas knows that he must be focused to see off the three-time Slam champion.
“He’s someone that has been putting a lot of work to get back and has been playing very good tennis to be standing where he’s at right now,” Tsitsipas told the ATP tour.
“I think I’m going to go for it, try my chances against him. He’s someone that won’t give up. I’ll have to bring some good tennis from my side.”
That never say die attitude certainly rings true for the Brit. When Murray last appeared at the US Open in 2020, he rallied from two sets to love down against Yoshihito Nishioka in his first round match.
Tsitsipas will be hoping to dispatch Murray without so much trouble in their encounter in Arthur Ashe Stadium.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner