Stefanos Tsitsipas ready to face ‘always challenging’ rival for place in Cincy semis
Stefanos Tsitsipas will be up against a familiar foe in his quest for a second consecutive Cincinnati semi-final berth.
The French Open finalist will take on fellow youngster Felix Auger-Aliassime in the quarter-finals of the hard court Masters event.
The two men have faced each other six times on the ATP tour, with the Canadian winning their first two encounters before Tsitsipas claimed the next four, including two so far in 2021, the last one being in Barcelona.
“The surface conditions are different,” Tsitsipas acknowledged about their last battle compared to their next. “He’s someone who grew up playing on hard courts.
“I’m up for that challenge and I want to be able to show great determination and consistency. He’s someone that plays really well and I always find it challenging trying to come up with different patterns and solutions against him.”
Auger-Aliassime will be vying for his second ever Masters 1000 semi-final spot, and his first for over two years, since making the last four at the 2019 Miami Open.
“Starting strong and trying to dictate the game from early on will be of much importance,” Tsitsipas added.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner