Stefanos Tsitsipas empathises with Dominic Thiem struggles: ‘I have been there myself’
Stefanos Tsitsipas says he can empathise with Dominic Thiem’s recent slump but he bas backed the Austrian to bounce back quickly.
Thiem has seen his form collapse this year following his US Open title last season, with him admitting to both mental and physical struggles.
He failed to get beyond the fourth round at the Australian Open before early exits in both Doha and Dubai, all while battling foot and knee injuries.
However, it has been the mental struggles which appear to have affected Thiem most, with him saying he has struggled to refocus his goals and motivation after achieving a career goal in New York.
However, he says he is now playing much closer to his usual level in practice, and he will make his return in Madrid, and Stefanos Tsitsipas is happy to see him back.
“What he has achieved is one of my sources of inspiration,” Tsitsipas said of Thiem ahead of the Madrid Masters.
“I think if I were to win a Grand Slam title I would try to explore something new, look for more opportunities, and I think Dominic is capable of that too.
“I think his injury has been added to that. I have been in that position and it’s not the best feeling in the world, when you’re injured and wanting to compete but your body says no.
“I’m sure we will meet many more times, and hopefully in the Grand Slam finals, which will be good for the sport.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner