Stefan Edberg names the player ‘closest’ to breaking Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer, and Rafael Nadal dominance
Former Grand Slam winner Stefan Edberg has named Dominic Thiem is the man most likely to break the dominance of Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, and Roger Federer.
Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic have won 56 Grand Slam titles between them and are showing little sign of relinquishing their stranglehold on men’s tennis any time soon.
Thiem has lost three of those finals – two at the French Open to Nadal and this year’s Australian Open to Djokovic – but Edberg believes he is the best positioned to make a significant breakthrough.
“He showed he could have won the Australian Open this year very easily,” Edberg told Eurosport.
“That was a big chance for him. If Rafa wasn’t there, he’s going to win the French Open one day. He’s probably the closest one today, I would say.
“But at the same time, [Alexander] Zverev has shown a lot of potential, sort of lost track a little bit, but it doesn’t take much to get back on the right track again.
“[Stefanos] Tsitsipas has shown some… He’s definitely knocking on the door as well. I probably can add a few others. But Thiem, I would say at the moment.”‘
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner