Special Andy Murray fights back to thrill an electric Centre Court crowd
Two-time Wimbledon champion Andy Murray moved into the third round after defeating German wildcard Oscar Otte.
The former British No. 1 and three time Grand Slam champion beat Otte 6-3, 4-6, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 in three hours and 50 minutes in the second round on Centre Court at the All England Club.
It is Murray’s first appearance at Wimbledon since 2017, and with the Brit winning just three matches on tour in 2021, the lack of match sharpness was evident at times in the match. Thankfully for Murray and his supporters, the fighting spirit and first-class tennis still remains.
It never gets old, does it?
— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) June 30, 2021
Murray made a brilliant start to the match, playing with real energy and aggression. A couple of breaks saw him secure the opening 6-3, a rapturous applause followed on Centre Court.
When Murray broke for 3-1 in the second set, it seemed he had taken complete control of the match. The German responded with some terrific tennis to reel off four consecutive games and seize the momentum. The Brit battled hard, but Otte served the set out to level the match.
A fatigued looking Murray surrended his serve mid-way through set three, Otte took full advantage and took a two sets to one lead. Centre Court roof was closed. Murray came roaring back. Electric atmosphere. The Brit failed to serve out the fourth set at 5-3 but responded with a stunning return game to force a decider.
Murray flying, Otte floundering. It was Murray that raced into a 3-0 lead and with the crowd backing their man, the winning line was in sight. The Brit booked his place in round three after breaking serve to take the fifth set 6-2 with a trademark lob. A special performance.
He will face Denis Shapovalov in the third round on Friday.
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner