Simona Halep faces race against time to be fit for US Open
Simona Halep was forced to withdraw from WTA Cincinnati Open due to a thigh injury and faces a race against time to be fit for US Open.
The Romanian suffered the injury in her opening round win against Magda Linette, forcing her to withdraw from a potential clash with American Jessica Pegula.
“After feeling a sharp pain in my right adductor during the match yesterday, I called the physio and, with heavy taping, was able to carry on and win.” said Halep.
“Unfortunately, a scan this morning showed that I have a small tear in the adductor and, there, it would be too risky for me to play this evening.
“I will rest up and do everything I can to be ready for the US Open. To the fans in Cincinnati, it was beautiful to see you again,” she added.
Halep had only recently returned to the court after suffering a calf tear in March which forced her out of Roland Garros, Wimbledon and Tokyo Olympics.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner