Sharapova out of Rogers Cup
Originally published on: 30/07/13 00:00
The world No.2 has not played since her second-round defeat to Michelle Larcher de Brito at Wimbledon last month.
The Russian, who has recently started working with former world No.1 Jimmy Connors, will hope to be fit in time for the Western & Southern Open in Cincinnati which begins on August 12.
"I am extremely disappointed that I am unable to play in Toronto next week as it's one of the best and most important tournaments of the year," Sharapova said.
"I was looking forward to making a healthy return to the courts in front of my Canadian fans but unfortunately I'm just not recovered yet."
Tournament director Karl Hale said: "Maria is one of the fan favourites here in Toronto and we are certainly going to miss her.”