Serena Williams ‘happy to get through’ after tough Aryna Sabalenka Australian Open test
Serena Williams knew she had been involved in a genuine battle after she overcame Aryna Sabalenka at the Australian Open.
Williams was given a genuine test by the Belarusian, but she was able to raise her game at key moments to get herself over the line.
Sabalenka produced some really powerful hitting to disrupt the rhythm of Williams, and she was truly dominant in the second set, breaking three times.
“I am happy to get through that one, I knew it wasn’t go to be easy,” Serena Williams said afterwards.
“She was teeing off on every shot. I felt like I was there but some shots I felt like I was missing.
“The games that I lost [were] super close – one shot here and one shot here. I said to myself: ‘Serena you are so close, you have to keep going’.”
Sister Venus Williams was in the player’ box to lend her support, and it was certainly something Serena appreciated.
“It helps a great deal having Venus around is amazing,” she said.
“Not just now, in the twilight of our careers. Also in the beginning. It’s so cool.
“Because no one really understands. No one understands the level of intensity or the pressure or the losses or the wins unless it is someone else in the locker room.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner