‘That’s not fair! I’m actually a really fast player!’ – Serena Williams involved in fresh umpire spat
Serena Williams issued another dressing down to a chair umpire during her Western and Southern Open defeat following a time violation.
Williams famously argued with Carlos Ramos in the US Open final in 2018 before losing to Naomi Osaka.
And she once again showed her fury to the chair when she was punished for taking too long to get her towel in her defeat to Maria Sakkari.
“I mean, I’m getting my own towels,” Williams explained to Aurelie Tourte.
“That’s not fair. You should tell me on the sidelines next time if I need to play faster.
“Believe me, I will. You didn’t even give me a warning.”
Tourte replied: “I can’t give u a soft warning,” but Serena Williams made sure she got the last word.
“I’m actually a really fast player. Next time warn me. I’m done. Thank you!”
One of the key changes in tennis due to Covid-19 is that ball kids are no longer allowed to touch their towels, meaning they must retrieve them themselves instead.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner