Serena Williams defeated in 1000th career match
Serena Williams took to the court for the first time since the Australian Open, falling in straight sets to Nadia Podoroska.
Serena Williams completed her 1000th career match today at the Italian Open in Rome, unfortunately for her as a defeat to Nadia Podoroska, 7-6 (8-6), 7-5.
While Podoroska has a respectable track record on clay, including a run to the semi-finals at Roland Garros in 2020, as a qualifier no less, Williams will be disappointed not to get more matches under her belt in Rome.
The 39-year-old will still be aiming to secure a 24th Grand Slam singles title come Roland Garros. Williams’ career singles win-loss record is now at 851-149 (85.1%).
A third career Top-10 win for 🇦🇷 @nadiapodoroska!
— wta (@WTA) May 12, 2021
Williams was under 50% on first serves in, at just 48.1% (37/77), and only won 18 of 40 points behind her second serve (45%), making for a serving performance well below her usual standards.
Nadia Podoroska will next face Petra Martic in the round of 16.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner