‘Serena Williams is doing great’ – agent offers positive injury update
Serena Williams’ agent Jim Smoller has provided a brief yet positive update on the American’s fitness and that she hopes to be back fit to play at the US Open.
Williams suffered an injury to her right leg after slipping on court during her first-round match against Aliaksandra Sasnovich at Wimbledon, which forced her to withdraw from the grass-court Slam.
The 23-time Major champion did not reveal the extent of her injury at the time, and neither did her coach Patrick Mouratoglou.
However, Mouratoglou did reveal that the injury was not as serious as first feared, confirming that Williams was walking just days after slipping on Centre Court.
Now, Williams’ agent Smoller gave a positive update on the 39-year-old in a recent conversation with TMZ Sports.
“She’s doing great,” Smoller declared.
Smoller, who was then asked to provide an update on when Serena could return, sounded confident that the American star will be fit in time for the US Open in front of a home crowd.
“Hopefully at the US Open (on when we can expect to see Serena Williams in action again),” Smoller said. “She’s just doing rehab.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner