Second Service: Tsitsipas crashes out; ATP star voices medal hopes
On Second Service today, Stefanos Tsitsipas crashes out in Hamburg and an ATP star voices their hopes of a medal at the upcoming Olympic Games in the absence of some of the biggest stars.
Firstly, The woes of Greek star Tsitsipas continued as the Greek star bowed out in the ATP 500 clay court event just days before the Olympics.
The world number four came into the German tournament as as favourite to claim a third title of 2021 and put a disappointing Wimbledon behind him.
Despite claiming the first set 6-3 against Filip Krajinovic, Tsitsipas was frustrated by his Serbian opponent and gave up the next two sets 6-1, 6-3 to be unceremoniously dumped out.
Looking ahead to the Olympics, Argentine star Diego Schwartzman is looking to benefit from the many withdrawals at the Olympics to secure a medal for himself and his nation.
The 28-year-old will be making his Olympic debut this summer and certainly has a chance to make history at the Ariake Tennis Park.
“Luckily at Roland Garros and at Wimbledon I improved my level and my energy. That gives me a lot of confidence for Tokyo, a place where I played very well in the ATP 500,” said the World No. 12.
“With all the absences there are, if I get lucky in the draw and it favours me in the early rounds, I can go from lowest to highest and go for a medal.”
One player that will not be featuring at the upcoming Games is Australian No. 1 Alex de Minaur, who tested positive for Covid-19 just three days before his flight to Tokyo.
The Australian, who recently suffered a first-round exit at Wimbledon, became the first member of Australia’s Olympic team to test positive.
“He is shattered,” Australian Olympics Committee spokesman, Ian Chesterman said on Friday morning.
“It’s been a dream since he was a child to represent Australia at the Olympic Games, but he has sent his very best wishes for the rest of the team.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner