Top
Tokyo Olympics tennis

Australian star has Olympic dream ‘shattered’ after Covid-19 diagnosis

1 Share

Australia’s Olympic campaign has been thrown into chaos just days before the Olympics after one of their biggest stars tested positive for Covid-19. 

Alex de Minaur, who recently suffered a first-round exit at Wimbledon, has pulled out of the OIympic Games after becoming the first member of Australia’s Olympic team to test positive.

The World No. 17 is said to have tested positive for the respiratory virus just three days before his scheduled flight to Tokyo, despite testing negative after the grass-court Slam.

“He is shattered,” Australian Olympics Committee spokesman, Ian Chesterman said on Friday morning.

“It’s been a dream since he was a child to represent Australia at the Olympic Games, but he has sent his very best wishes for the rest of the team.”

The 22-year-old had been selected to play both singles and doubles competitions with his partner John Peers, who is expected to still be eligible to compete.

De Minaur, comfortably Australia’s highest ranked male player, has further diminished the country’s hopes of a medal this summer after Nick Kyrgios also confirmed he would not travel to Japan.


Tokyo Olympics tennis
1 Share
Copy link