Second Service: Nadal loss opens door for Tsitsipas; Thiem recovering well
On Second Service today, an early exit for Rafael Nadal in Washington opens the door for Stefanos Tsitsipas, and Dominic Thiem is said to be recovering well.
Firstly, Nadal fell to South African Lloyd Harris to bring an abrupt end to his Washington debut and stifle his return to the US hard courts.
But the bad news for the Spaniard does not end there, as his exit has repercussions for the ATP rankings.
Nadal is set to lose 455 ranking points to drop down from 8270 to 7815 points. Meanwhile, Tsitsipas will gain 115 points from 8000 to sit on 8115. As such, Nadal will slip to world number four while Tsitsipas will achieve a new career-high ranking of world number three.
US Open champion Dominic Thiem has played just 18 matches in 2021 and suffered an injury to his wrist at the Mallorca Championships, forcing his withdrawal from Wimbledon and the Olympics.
Alex Stober, physiotherapist to the world number number six, gave an update about a possible return for the Austrian.
“We don’t have a date in sight yet because we are following further medical advice,” Stober told Austrian newspaper Salzburger Nachrichten.
“But what is certain is that Dominic will return to the match court this year. Dominic knows he has to be patient (in order to totally heal). The healing process is developing as expected.”
Lastly, Jannik Sinner is one of the brightest young talents on the ATP tour, and former world number one Andy Roddick has given some advice to the 19-year-old.
“On his backhand side, you’d like to see him be able to check down and keep that ball in play, as opposed to just trying to force the issue over and over,” Roddick said in a recent interview.
“But that’s also one of his strengths, so you’d have to work on that really diligently,” Roddick added to qualify his first remark.
The American also suggested the Italian has room to improve his serve and said he should take a leaf out of the Sampras playbook.
“What I’d like to see is a little more direction, more of that ‘Sampras tail’ as I call it,” Roddick expressed.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner