‘I can play on every surface’ – Andrey Rublev reaches first final on grass
Andrey Rublev said he “stayed calm” to beat Nikoloz Basilashvili and reach his first grass court final at the Noventi Open in Halle.
The world No. 7 defeated the 29-year-old Georgian 6-1, 3-6, 6-3 in the semi-finals of the ATP 500 tournament.
The Russian broke twice to race through the first set, before the world No. 30 secured a single break to take the second and level the contest.
Rublev then earned the crucial break for 4-2 in the decider and – despite Basilashvili saving three match points on serve – finished the job.
Too strong 💪
— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) June 19, 2021
“It’s my first final on grass and in Halle. I think I can play on every surface and I will try my best again tomorrow,” said the 23-year-old in a post-match interview.
“I had good opportunities to break him (Basilashvili) in the second set, some quite easy forehands and I stressed a little showing my emotions. I then came back and stayed calm until the last game. But I won.”
Rublev will face either Felix Auger-Aliassime or Ugo Humbert in the title match.
(Photo credit Ray Giubilo)
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner