‘Roger Federer would not have been kicked out – the line judge was acting,’ says Novak Djokovic ally
Roger Federer would have been given preferential treatment to that which Novak Djokovic received at the US Open, says the Serb’s former manager.
Djokovic was ejected from the tournament on Sunday after accidentally striking a female line-judge with a spare ball.
The USTA immediately released a statement, quoting the rule Djokovic broke and insisting they had no other option but to default the world number one.
Pilic, though, says he is highly sceptical of that explanation.
“In my opinion, Novak Djokovic accidentally hit the line-judge with the ball,” Pilic told the press in Serbia as the fallout from the incident rumbles on.
“I think he should have been punished with a confiscated game. It is not right to disqualify the first in the world because of this.
“I believe that the judge also acted a little, I don’t think she was so hurt.
“Do you think Roger Federer would be kicked out for something like this? No chance. This decision is tendentious.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner