Roger Federer surgery will leave him out “for many months”
Roger Federer requires further surgery which will unfortunately sideline the 40-year-old for a considerable period of time.
The 20-time Slam champion shared the unwanted news with fans that he will have to undergo further knee surgery to ensure long-term comfort on-court and beyond.
Federer has only played 13 matches in 2021, nine of them at Wimbledon and Roland Garros. If he were to not return before the end of the season, the Swiss will have played just 19 competitive matches since the start of 2020.
“Unfortunately [my doctors] told me that for the medium to long term to feel better I will need surgery,” Federer said in a video statement on his social media channels.
“I’ll be on crutches for many weeks and then also out of the game for many months.
“So, it’s gonna be difficult of course in some ways, but at the same time I know it’s the right thing to do, because I wanna be healthy, I wanna be running around later as well again.
“Don’t get me wrong, I am realistic. I know at this age how difficult it is to do another surgery.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner