Roger Federer: ‘People still ask me about that Novak Djokovic defeat at Wimbledon’
Roger Federer says people still want to talk to him about his 2019 Wimbledon final defeat to Novak Djokovic, but he has long been over it.
Federer had two match points in what was an absolutely brilliant final before Djokovic was able to seal a memorable win.
It was, on paper at least, perhaps the most agonizing defeat of Federer’s career, but he doesn’t see it that way.
“Fans talked to me about that defeat for weeks on the internet,” Federer told Numero Homme magazine. “And still today it happens to me.
“I think, ‘What are they still thinking about?’ But I understand.”
Whilst it must have undoubtedly been a tough defeat to take, Federer believes he has become skilled at knowing how to cope with losses.
“The most important thing is not to give them too much emotional importance.
“Don’t judge yourself at all costs. Analyse and understand. You can do this alone, or by talking with others to get them out of the disappointment.
“Some people think for days and nights about the mistakes they made. I chose to analyse very quickly. It helps me to move on.
“When I was young, I wasn’t even angry when I lost, but extremely sad. I couldn’t think straight.
“Now I only need half an hour to recover from a defeat, maybe an hour if it’s the Wimbledon final.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner