‘I’m incredibly happy with my performance,’ Roger Federer makes winning return against Dan Evans in Doha
Roger Federer has triumphed in his first competitive match for 14 months by defeating Brit Dan Evans.
Roger Federer won 7-6 3-6 7-5 in a match that was closely fought right until the end.
‘It feels good to be back,’ Federer said after the match. ‘Happy to be here regardless if I won or lost, but obviously winning feels better.
‘Thank you everyone for coming out,’ Federer said to the Doha crowd.
‘Dan [Evans] had more energy left at the end, but I was serving well and I thought I actually played a really really good match, so I’m incredibly happy about my performance.
‘It was a pleasure to share the court with Dan, and nice to finish off with a backhand down the line of course!
‘It’s been a long and tough road for me, I enjoyed it though,’ Federer said referring to his comeback. ‘I must say, it’s been a huge challenge in my tennis career, and to come back at my age is not something that’s very simple.
‘I’ve had a wonderful team around myself that always supported me throughout.
‘That made it much easier, it was worth it, because I played a great match today.’
The three-time Doha champion will play Nikoloz Basilashvili next in the quarter-finals.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner