‘Roger Federer is still a threat to win a big tournament’, warns Patrick McEnroe
Patrick McEnroe said Roger Federer can still win big tournaments but believes the Swiss great does not realistically think he can win the French Open.
McEnroe – a former doubles world No. 3 – is now a commentator and analyst for ESPN.
Federer will return to action at the ATP 250 tournament in Geneva in May, before playing Roland Garros.
“He wouldn’t be showing up to play (the French Open) if he didn’t think he could play well,” McEnroe told Reuters. “But I don’t think he is realistically going there thinking he could win the tournament.
“Even when Roger was at his highest level he was the second best clay court player in the world, which is saying something. I don’t think we can say that right now, especially coming off such a long layoff.
“But his expectations are certainly to go there and play well and make a little bit of a run. He’s still a threat to win a big tournament.
“I never underestimate greatness and he’s great, one of the greatest, if not the greatest of all time. He just loves the game. He loves to play.
“I don’t think he plays with the sole intention of ‘I’m going to play to try and win every tournament’ and I think that’s part of his popularity and part of his sustainability.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner