Roger Federer backed to return strongly: ‘He knows his body – he puts in a huge amount of work’
Paul Annacone has backed Roger Federer to come back strongly – because he knows how much work he has put in to get himself in a position to thrive.
Annacone coached Federer for three yeas between 2010 and 2013, during which time he saw first hand the work ethic that has enabled the Swiss star to enjoy the longevity he has.
“Roger would just show up everyday and punch the clock,” Annacone told the Tennis with an accent podcast.
“People see this graceful athlete that just floats around and they think that it just happens.
“I can promise you, he has put in an unbelievable amount of work throughout his life and because he has done so many repetitions it is easier for him now to get to a high level and he knows his body well.”
Annacone also went on to give some insight into how Federer works, both mentally and physically, throughout the year, and how he approached facing rivals Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic.
“About specific people, we – or I – tended not to do that in the off-season: ‘Roger, here’s what you would need to do against Rafa or Roger here’s one of the things I need you to do when you play Novak’,” Annacone said.
“Those conversations would come up during dinner throughout the year and then we would talk about philosophies and things to do to create different ways to be successful against players and then we implement those strategies in training periodically through the year. But it was never focused during the seven days. It is an ongoing conversation that happens throughout the year.”
“So in pre-season or training block time we always had a big one after US Open to finish the year, we had a big one in December to start the next season for Australia and then a healthy one before the clay swing to get through the grass season.
“And after the grass season, we usually just had an acclimatization period. So Roger had three significant (training blocks) and one we had to piece in a little bit.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner