Roger Federer accused of ‘changing the ranking system to protect himself’
Roger Federer has been sensationally accused of ‘changing the rankings system to protect himself’ but a major German official.
Federer barely played in 2020 due to injury but has been able to maintain a top five ranking due to temporary changes in the rankings system due to the coronavirus crisis.
Those changes were made at an ATP level, with the WTA implementing a similar system, and there is no evidence at all of influence from Federer or anyone else.
However, Dick Hordorff, who is the Vice President of the German Tennis Federation, has alleged that Federer has used his position on the ATP Players Council for his own gain.
“Roger Federer simply changed the ranking method to protect himself,” Hordorff said on the Quiet Please podcast. “It is irresponsible and quite simply incorrect.
“In my opinion, he takes advantage of his position on the Players’ Council.
“It must nevertheless be said that without the change in ranking system, Roger Federer would not be in the top 50.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner