‘Right now I am excited’ – Naomi Osaka feeling good ahead of Australian Open
Naomi Osaka says she is excited ahead of the Australian open, but she admits that will give way to nerves as the tournament draws nearer.
Osaka won the event in 2019, and has since grown her Grand Slam title collection to three following her success at the US Open last year.
She will go into the tournament as one of the favourites to win the women’s singles, but she is expecting the nerves to kick in soon enough.
“Right now I’m excited because I’m training for it currently but maybe when I’m playing my first round, I’ll be a little bit nervous,” Osaka told Vogue.
“I’ll probably be nervous when I get there. Maybe I’m not so sure. Usually I’m very excited for Grand Slams.
“But if I was nervous I would tell myself that everyone’s nervous. I don’t think there’s a player that isn’t nervous going into a Grand Slam.”
Osaka is currently training in Adelaide rather than Melbourne along with Simona Halep, Serena Williams, and the ATP top three players as they prepare for a pre-Australian Open exhibition event.
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner