‘Have a little respect’ – Rafael Nadal coach slams Patrick Mouratoglou for Roland Garros prediction
Carlos Moya has defended the reputation of Rafael Nadal after the suggestion from Patrick Mouratoglou that his charge will not be ready for Roland Garros.
The 13-time Roland Garros champion has been out of competitive action since Indian Wells in March after suffering a rib injury there in the semi-finals.
Despite returning at the Madrid Open this week, Mouratoglou has said that, given how Nadal generally enters Paris with many more matches under his belt, he believes the 35-year-old will not be fully prepared to win a 14th title there this year.
In a rebuttal on Twitter, former world number one Moya said: “17 years in a row in the top 10, Roland Garros 2020 with three matches in seven months, Australian Open 2022 with three matches in six months.
“A little respect and memory Patrick Mouratoglou,” he signed off with a wink emoji.
Not only did Nadal win Roland Garros 2020 after just one warm-up tournament due to the Covid shutdown of the tour, but he won the who tournament without dropping a set, even against Novak Djokovic in the final.
That was the fourth time Nadal had achieved such a feat, having previously done so in 2008, 2010 and 2017.
— Carlos Moya (@Charlymoya) May 3, 2022
Of course in more recent memory the 21-time Major winner surprised everyone when he won a second career Australian Open title just weeks after returning from over four months away from the sport due to a debilitating foot injury.
On the other hand, nine-time Melbourne champion Djokovic was barred from that event, leaving some to claim that factor undermines Nadal’s triumph Down Under.
🎾 Read >> World’s best tennis magazine
🎾 Watch >> How to enjoy ATP/WTA/Slam tennis on TV
🎾 Gambling >> Betway tennis odds