Raonic: ‘I may play much less because this is not psychologically healthy for me’
Milos Raonic says he will ‘play much less’ in 2021 if the current conditions in tennis don’t change.
The Canadian ace has rediscovered some of his best tennis this year and has found himself once again challenging for a top ten spot.
He lost in the Paris Masters semi-final to Daniil Medvedev on Saturday to improve his position further, and it was another encouraging performance from Raonic.
However, with tennis players going from one quarantine and ‘bubble’ to the next all around the world due to coronavirus restrictions, he says he is rethinking his schedule – particularly with current rankings rules protecting the points of players who don’t play.
“If it’s like this week in and week out, and you know you’re going to have the possibility to play a full season, I’ll be playing much less because a lot of things will carry over from this year,” Raonic admitted.
“Especially under the conditions of not being able to leave the hotel room, it’s just not something that’s psychologically healthy for me or even just for the soul, and I have to have a little bit of freedom in that sense.
“Under those conditions for long bouts of time, it’s not something that I’m going to be looking forward to.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner