‘Rafael Nadal will surpass Novak Djokovic for Grand Slams,’ says top analyst
Greg Rusedski believes Rafael Nadal is the only man who can stop Novak Djokovic from winning a clean sweep of records.
Djokovic has drawn level with Pete Sampras for most year-end world number ones, and is on the verge of surpassing Roger Federer for total weeks on top of the rankings.
He is three behind Nadal and Federer in the Grand Slam count, though, and while Rusedski thinks Djokovic will challenge, he says he is struggling to see past the Spaniard.
Asked if he thinks Djokovic will surpass Sampras’ and Federer’s records, Rusedski said: “I think he will.
“But Rafael Nadal might have more Slams than him.
“Djokovic is going to surpass Federer, he won’t have the most wins or the most titles but he will surpass him for most Grand Slam titles.”
“I think the battle is between two guys. You’ve got to give [Nadal] the French unless [Dominic] Thiem can knock him off his pedestal in Paris.
“That’s the only guy who can beat him in my opinion there. Novak Djokovic needs two Slams next year at least, or three.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner