Rafael Nadal powers past Novak Djokovic to join Roger Federer in Grand Slam history books
Rafael Nadal demolished Novak Djokovic in the final of the French Open to equal Roger Federer’s all-time Grand Slam record.
Nadal was at his brilliant best from the very first point, playing no-miss tennis against the world number one before rounding out a completely dominant 6-0, 6-2, 7-5 win.
It was the Spaniard’s 13th crown at Roland Garros and 20th overall, meaning he is now level with Federer in the record books.
“Congrats to Novak for another great tournament,” Rafael Nadal said afterwards. “Sorry for today. In Australia he killed me a couple of times ago.
“It’s clear today was for me. That’s part of the game. We’ve played plenty times together – one day one wins, another the other.
“I want to send a message, everyone around the world, we are facing one of the worst moments that I think we remember in this world facing and fighting against this virus.
“Just keep going, stay positive and all the very best. Together probably we will go through this and we will win the virus soon.”
More to follow…
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner