‘Rafael Nadal no longer needed me,’ says Toni Nadal on coaching decision
Toni Nadal says he stopped coaching nephew Rafael Nadal because he felt he was ‘no longer necessary’ or able to contribute enough.
Uncle Toni was Rafa’s coach for his entire childhood and much of his professional career before handing over the reigns to Carlos Moya.
He is still a hugely respected figure in tennis though, and now coaches young players at Rafael Nadal’s academy in Manacor.
“I had come to believe that my contribution was no longer necessary,” Toni Nadal told Sueddeutsche Zeitung.
“I’ve been a very demanding coach all my life. But it was always my goal to educate him to demand everything from himself.
The job of a trainer is to make yourself dispensable. I think I did it.”
The interviewer also asked Toni if he missed coaching Rafael Nadal, and he seemed very much at peace with no longer being involved.
“No [I don’t miss it],” he said. “I was very lucky to train a great player who is also my nephew.
“I enjoyed that and I feel grateful for it too. But I like to train children, like now at the academy in Manacor, because I have the feeling that I can give them more than my nephew.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner