‘Rafael Nadal is the greatest Spanish athlete of all time,’ says former world number two
Rafael Nadal is the greatest Spanish sportsman of all time, says former world number two Alex Corretja.
Nadal won the French Open earlier this month to draw level with Roger Federer with a record 20 Grand Slam singles titles.
It was also his 13th crown at Roland Garros – a feat of dominance unmatched by anyone in tennis history.
All of that combines to set Nadal apart from anyone in his country’s sporting past, says Corretja.
“When Rafael Nadal wins, we all win,” Corretja told sport.es.
“It is very difficult for me to summarize in a single page what Rafa Nadal means for all of us”
“This last week, everyone has returned to talk about Nadal. And in these times, I do not find anything better than to value and appreciate the records that day by day, he can break.
“For me, he is the best Spanish athlete of all time (with absolute respect for everyone else)”
“I want to remember that Rafa is human, even though he acts like a machine.
“That he is sensitive, even if he looks like iron, and that his game can be as overwhelming as lava from a volcano.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner