Rafael Nadal hails unsung hero: ‘Without him, I would never have been able to win’
Rafael Nadal says he would not have had the success he has enjoyed without the efforts of doctor Angel Ruiz Cotorro.
While Nadal is famed for his on-court intensity, it has come at a price in his career with his body undergoing more wear-and-tear than others.
That has required his fitness to be carefully managed throughout his career, and for that Nadal says he is immensely grateful to Cotorro.
“With Angel we had a lot of difficult times because at the end of the day he is the doctor,” Rafael Nadal said in an interview for one of his sponsors, Telefonica.
“And when I’m with the doctor, it’s because things are going wrong.”
“But Angel is a very positive person, and that is an important virtue in the medical world.
“He projects himself and looks forward optimistically. He helped me find solutions.
“Without him, I would never have been able to win some tournaments.
“Without a trusted doctor, my results would have been totally different. I can only thank him.”
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates in our legendary free newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner