Rafael Nadal hails ‘important step’ as he gets Mexican Open campaign off to perfect start
Rafael Nadal says the Mexican Open is an ‘important step’ as he gets himself ready for clay court season next month.
The ‘King of Clay’ will chase a 13th French Open title this year, and should he get it would draw level with Roger Federer at the top of the all-time Grand Slam winners list.
And his preparations for the Sunshine Double and clay season got off to a perfect start as he defeated fellow Spaniard Pablo Andujar 6-3, 6-2 on Monday.
“It was an awkward first round, as always when I have not competed for a while,” Rafael Nadal said
“And the temperature change here is drastic and you have to adapt to the conditions.
“I am happy with the victory, I did important things and others not so much, but it is an important step to have another opportunity tomorrow to look forward and improve.
“The weather conditions are heavy, because there is a lot of humidity. Difficult according to what long points.
“But I love this court, the ball takes the effects very well, I enjoy hitting the ball here. Then sometimes things go well, others don’t, but the feeling is always good.”
- Keep up to date with the breaking news & tennis action at our tennis news section
- Win amazing prizes by entering our competitions
- Learn more about your favourite players including Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal and Novak Djokovic
- Check out the latest tennis equipment with our tennis gear reviews
- Receive regular updates with our legendary newsletter
- Read in depth features with stunning photography in tennishead magazine
- Can’t visit the tournaments you love? Check out our guide on how to watch tennis on TV
- Don’t miss a thing with our Live Scores service
- Follow tennishead on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner