Rafael Nadal ‘excited to play again’ as he confirms comeback date
Rafael Nadal has announced his return to the tour having not played since the Roland Garros semi-finals.
Fans of the Spaniard will be happy to hear the news following his absence from both Wimbledon and the upcoming Tokyo Olympics.
The 20-time Grand Slam champion accepted a wildcard into the Citi Open in Washington, ATP 500 event that features as part of the ‘Summer Swing’ of US hard court event before the US Open.
The tournament runs from 2-8 August, with Nadal having never played the event before.
“I am very excited to come to Washington for the first time,” Nadal expressed as part of a tournament press release. “I have never been there and it’s one more place I wanted to come and play.
“I am looking forward to playing again and Washington shall be the best start for the U.S. Summer Swing for me.
“Looking forward to seeing again my U.S. fans that I haven’t seen since I won the 2019 US Open in NYC! Vamos!”
Rafael Nadal was one of a number of players that decided against playing at last year’s US Open, citing concerns around international travel at the height of the pandemic.
“We are thrilled to welcome Rafael Nadal,” Citi Open CEO Mark Ein declared.
“[He] is not just one of the greatest tennis players of all-time, but also a global sporting icon and inspiring role model to our Washington community this summer.”
- Keep up to date with all the breaking Wimbledon News
- Enjoy our exclusive & free ‘Guide to Wimbledon 2021′
- Order the bumper Wimbledon special issue of Tennishead magazine
- Follow our live commentary from all the biggest matches at Wimbledon
- Don’t miss a thing with our Wimbledon Live Scores service
- Follow Tennishead at Wimbledon on social media at Facebook, Twitter, Instagram & YouTube
- Join the tennishead CLUB and receive £250/$350 of FREE GEAR including ASICS Gel-Resolution 8 trainers, shorts, shirt & socks
- EXCLUSIVE 5% DISCOUNT for all Tennishead readers on tennis rackets, balls, clothing, shoes & accessories with All Things Tennis, our dedicated tennis gear partner